One of my favourite children’s birthdays is the 3rd! I feel like at this age, children are able to really enjoy their birthdays – they get to really feel the excitement in the days leading up to their big day (if you make that excitement for them…which of course I do 😉 ), they know what it means when you tell them there’ll be gifts, and they know what a party is. And all of this is what my baby boy Riley has experienced in the days leading up to today. Today is his 3rd birthday. Today, 3years ago, I was waiting with great excitement to be wheeled into theatre, ready to meet our second boy. He entered the world with quite a bit of drama compared to his big brother, and he’s kept us on our toes since then. This boy is a real character and we absolutely love him to bits. Just like I did with Ethan over here, I want to note everything that is Riley too 🙂 …
- Riley is a real little clown. He makes jokes constantly and loves pulling faces and doing silly things to make us all laugh.
- He’s started making up stories…his imagination is clearly running wild. In fact, the other day, he had an accident in his pants at school. When we asked what happened – he told us that one of the “friends” in his class wee’d on him. When I pointed out said friend was a girl and would have literally had to sit on top of him to wee on him and so I asked what teacher had said when she sat on him…he told me that she was in fact a boy and he walked over to him, pulled down his pants and wee’d. In case you’re worried that I missed something here – I definitely know the child is a girl and I also know that Riley just had an accident and no other boy wee’d on him!!
- He doesn’t like to cuddle much. You’ll often find him sitting on my lap but getting hugs and kisses from him is a real effort.
- He jumps into our bed just about every morning between 5:30 and 6am and almost immediately closes his eyes and goes back to bed for another half an hour to an hour.
- He still sucks his pointer finger on his left hand (any suggestions on how to get rid of this habit?!?!) and he also still has that ugly habit that I’ve mentioned before of him wanting to hold his “manhood” when he sucks his finger – this mainly happens at bedtime but also happens every now and then in the day. I’m hoping we can kick this habit soon!!
- He loves to tell on his brother! The minute Ethan does something wrong or says something wrong, he’ll run and tell us. But he also loves his brother dearly. He wants to be with him and his friends constantly and thinks that he can do everything big brother can do too.
- He’s obsessed with Paw Patrol! He has just about every dog in the series and today, grandpa and nana made his day by buying him the big mission controller (I think that’s what it’s called?!) and Robo-dog. You’d swear he won the lotto – I wish I could share the video here, it’s just too precious.
- He loves his sweeties and Oros juice, no other juice, just “my O-ries” as he calls it. His appetite has its days – I’ll leave that there. He’s a very lazy eater though and if left to feed himself, he will often just stop eating waiting on mama to feed him. In fact, Ethan has even fed him at times in order to just get him done!!
- He really doesn’t like water and will only drink it if it has sugar in it, when he gets hurt and mum gives it to him to drink. He doesn’t particularly like fruit either. And he doesn’t like milk much. Otherwise, he eats pretty much everything preferring meat to veggies unlike Ethan who loves vegetables.
- He loves to ignore us! Like he’ll blatantly not answer a question or not respond when you call, even turning his head the other way to show that he’s not listening. A few months ago, that head turning was accompanies by a shaking hand in the air – like he was saying “talk to the hand”! Needless to say, he’s had a few paddy whacks to try and correct that…let’s hope he outgrows it soon!!
This year, Riley started creche in May and he took quite a while to settle in. Even after he’d stopped crying every morning, he wasn’t particularly chatty in class. Teacher said she could see he knew everything, but he was just shy. Over the last few weeks though, he’s completely broken out of his shell and his teacher says that she even has to ask him to stop talking at times 🙂 Next year, he’ll be going to school alone as Ethan moves on to grade 1 at a different school. He’s already saying that he’s not going to the green group and he’s also going to the school that Ethan’s going to. Hopefully the adjustment isn’t too hard on him.
Over the last few months, I feel like this boy has had a real growth spurt and although there’s been lots of sulking and tears, overall, he’s grown into such a lovely big boy.
Happy birthday Riley! I hope that the party on Saturday, his first party that’s his alone (i.e. not a joint one with Ethan :-)), will be loads of fun. May God continue to bless you to see many more and I pray that you stay the sweet little funny guy that you are.
I love you heaps xxx