These topics are tough man! I’m conflicted about what to write on today’s topic. Like there’s my dream life i.t.o. “nice to have things”… you know – manis, pedis, massages whenever, wherever. Then there’s those ideal life situations on a deeper level – no crime, no racism, able to walk in the streets as a woman on her own without having to look over your shoulder all the time….
So I’m going to try and write something short and sweet that maybe combines these but let me first start by saying that I really do love my life. I say often that I’m blessed and I mean it. An amazing family, a husband and 2 precious boys, 2 cars, a home, a secure job, food on our table every night and a roof over our heads – what more can a girl ask for?! But in a fantasy world, I guess there are a few things I would love to have…
– More children… Oh my heart yearns for another child. But practically, I know it doesn’t make sense. Firstly, the cost of living, enough said! Secondly school fees. The list of why nots goes on, but those two are enough to stop me in my tracks!!
– A half day job… this kills the more children possibility immediately! I mean, most of us are barely making ends meet with 2 full time stable jobs. But I wish it were 50years ago you know. Where a mum staying at home was the norm. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t never want to work again – working makes me a good wife and mum, it contributes largely to my overall sanity 😉 But I wish I could walk out at 12 and then dedicate the afternoon to my kids.
– Live closer to my parents… In the last year, my parents moved semi-permanently to Joburg. It was amazing. Really. Of course there were the extra hands – they did the school lifts most afternoons – but it was more than that. I could pop in whenever I felt like it. Join them for dinner every now and again. Bake a cake and drop it at theirs for a cuppa on a Sunday afternoon. The bonding time was really amazing. They’ve now moved back to Durban and I miss that. I miss them being around. Of course I’m cognisant of the fact that even that is a blessing… being in the same country and being able to visit frequently, but it’s not the same as living around the corner from them.
– Have a career that speaks to who I am… I am where I am in my career by pure chance. I am a Business Development Analyst and I work at the zebra. I studied Accounting because Accounting was my highest matric mark. I never had a career plan and now, at the tender age of 36, I am looking at re-inventing my career so to speak. I want to do something that is more me. In my dream life, it would something with people, maybe planning or events, something that requires me to be on the move and not stuck behind a computer every day.
– Live a simpler life… Living in Joburg means that life is busy… all.the.time. We live a relatively simple life in that we’re at home on weekends, we don’t do much other than the usual grocery shopping, perhaps go out for lunch with family or friends but for the most part, we tend to stay indoors and relax. Our friends are the total opposite. For the most part, they are busy most weekends. Setting up time to even visit means finding free time sometimes a month in advance. People often cancel and most times at the last minute because things pop up. Kids have school obligations many week day evenings and life just seems so busy. Gone are the days when you could just call a friend and pop by in an hour. Either we’re too exhausted to do that or our friends are unavailable. I just wish life were simpler.
-… AND WORLD PEACE… I know it’s not specific to South Africa, crime is all over the world. But the horrible inhumane things that you hear about in the news just so that the criminal could make off with a cellphone or handbag sadden me to no end. More for my children really. That they can’t walk too far away from us in a mall, they can’t even greet strangers because well, stranger danger. They can’t play outside on the road. They can’t take sweets from anybody, not even at school. It saddens me. In a dream world, I wish that there was no crime and violence. That kids were free to be kids. And that we wouldn’t have to subject them to the cruelty that we have in our world.
Now that I’ve started on this topic, I feel like I could go on for days but let me stop while I’m ahead. Yes folks, these are the things I would love in my dream world.
What would you like?!