So it’s day three back to the grindstone work and I’m feeling so energized!  No, I don’t mean that I’m not tired, I just mean that I’m sort of back in my “groove”.  I enjoy being at work…there I said it!  And I’m tired of feeling guilty about it.  Yes, as you know if you’ve been following my blog, in the last few months, I’ve had many people judge me for cutting my leave short, coming back to work early etc and I really have been feeling guilty about it. But now that I’m back at work, I pretty much over the guilt.  I’ve still had colleagues glance at me strangely when I tell them that no, in fact, it hasn’t been 6months (the question is usually oh my word, you’re back, has it been 6months already??!!!) and that I’ve come back early but I’m really hoping that by the end of today, I’ve chatted to everybody that I’ll be seeing on a daily basis going forward and that each of them can stop questioning me, hehe.

Anyway, moving on.  It’s so surprising how different I feel coming back to work this time around.  Like I say, ENERGIZED.  It’s like I’m ready and rearing to go and surprisingly, I actually had a decent break in the 4.5months leave that I took.  With Ethan, I was drained.  It was probably mostly because I didn’t have anybody to help until a day or two before I got back to work – not that I didn’t try, but it just didn’t work out – so I was not only a first time mummy struggling to cope with an exhausting day time routine, but I was also sleep deprived and on top of that…cleaning, cooking and being a supportive wife as well!  I clearly remember by month 3, Ethan was having about three naps a day.  In the first naptime, I’d have a quick shower and spruce up (I sometimes neglected this and just stayed in my pj’s – ftw!), in the second one, I’d try and catch a nap myself as well, and in the third, I’d cook dinner.  I was obsessed with the time.  I’d make sure that Ethan was sleeping for “x” amount of hours and then awake for however long he needed to be…just like the baby books said 🙂  I remember my mum once saying – but he’s not tired and you’re putting him to bed – and my reply was something along the lines of – mum, he sleeps for 45minutes and is awake for two hours, it’s his naptime now – hehe.

This time around, it’s been sooooooooooo much easier.  It’s true what they say – the second time around is easier.  I think that you’re more relaxed, probably more confident, and as a result, Riley has been such a pleasure.  Not that Ethan wasn’t!  But Riley has just been coasting it…or rather, I’ve let him.  He’s in his own little routine that he developed.  It had absolutely nothing to do with me.  When he was very little, I stuck to waking him to feed every three or four hours but soon he started sleeping for shorter periods anyway so there was no need to force him to wake up.  He goes to bed between 7 and 7:30pm and sleeps like a log!  As a result, there’ve been few days that I’ve woken up absolutely exhausted and even fewer that I’ve felt like a nap was needed.  Of course, this has helped a great deal with me coming back to work.  I can make it through the day (for now…touch wood) without feeling the need to have a nap every few hours like I did when I came back from leave the first time around.

How cute is this child???

How cute is this child???

For the last three days, I’ve been at work at my usual time of 7am on the dot.  No, I’m not that eager to be at work.  I said I enjoyed it, I didn’t say that I LOVED it 😉  The early start is to avoid traffic in the morning as well as in the afternoons with the home time rush (I come in at 7 and leave at 4) and it works for me.  Yesterday morning, both kids were up at 5:30 which is unusual in our house (5:35 normally, hehe, just kidding!), but otherwise, on Wednesday and Friday, I left Ethan in bed watching cartoons with his dad, and Riley was fast asleep.  4808 e-mails greeted me when I arrived on Wednesday but by the end of the day, I had gone through them all and by yesterday afternoon, I had a long list of project stuff to attend to as well as a clearer idea of what my new role is going to entail and boy am I in for some hard work!!  But this is life I guess…as my dad says, it’s called work not play.  I won’t lie – it’s been harder coming home from work and getting straight into the cooking, dinner, bath and bedtime routine because of course, I’m more tired than I have been in the last few months when I was just sitting at home and could cook at my leisure.  Now I have to cook in between sorting out TWO KIDS.  And of course, Ethan is demanding most of my attention when what I really want to do is just catch up with Riley for a bit because he obviously sleeps earlier.  But we’ll get into a nice routine very quickly I’m sure.

And just like the rest of you in the “real world“, I’m already counting down the hours until this day ends and the weekend begins.  Have a good one y’all xxx


One response »

  1. Mrs FF says:

    What a big difference it makes when you are so relaxed and you take one day at a time.

    Congrats on the new role and hope it is all you wish you for and more

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s