If there’s one thing that having children has made me, it’s…INDECISIVE! I cannot make any decision regarding the kids without looking at a gazillion other options and speaking to a bajillion other mums to get their opinions. I then make a decision and I still second guess myself. I can take weeks to make the simplest of decisions and most times, when we’ve decided as joint parents of our offspring, I end up still feeling uneasy about it long after the decision has been made.
I have really tried not to make a big thing out of this school thing – this deciding on where Ethan will do grade R and grade 1 – and I know it’s one of the things that I should be making a big deal about, but I had my options set out right at the beginning of the year and I didn’t want to complicate things. We called around, I spoke to every.single.mum who has school going kids or is in the same boat as me, we spoke at length to Ethan’s current principal and we made our decision. Well, at least for grade R…next year! We’re leaving Ethan where he is currently. For grade 1, we have a few options but we’ll get there when we need to get there I guess – although we’re going to view all the schools next month anyway.
I had made peace with our decision. I had second guessed and possibly third guessed it as well. But I thought we were sorted. That was until I fetched Ethan from school a few weeks ago and his teacher sent me into a semi-panic attack after she asked whether Ethan will be staying next year or not. When I said he was staying, she asked about where he’ll be going for grade 1 and whether I know what a mission it is to get into the government schools and how I don’t want him to end up going to school in area which is definitely not a good school. And then, we were at a school birthday party yesterday morning where of course, the topic of conversation was whether our children are staying or leaving the current school for grade R. The majority of them are moving on into the grade R that “feeds” the school that they want their child in for primary school. The others leaving their kids are all zoned to the school of their choice for grade 1 so no issue there. And then one father tried to convince me that my decision isn’t a good one and that I should rather put him in grade R at the school of my choice. And that got me thinking about it all over again!
But a day later, I’ve slept on it, and I honestly think that everything will work out just as it’s meant to be. We’ll apply to the school of our choice and we’ll pray about it. Whatever happens then, happens then and we’ll deal with it then. I really can’t let this consume my life at this moment in time!